Medical Malpractice Attorney in Arlington, Virginia
A patient puts a great deal of faith in his or her doctor when the patient goes to the hospital for a medical procedure such as surgery or any other form of treatment. When the doctor or other medical professionals make mistakes or act negligently while providing that care, it puts the patient’s health at risk. If the patient suffers injury from this improper care, the consequences can be severe and long-lasting. These injuries don’t just affect the patient’s quality of life. They are also typically costly to treat.
If you believe that you are a victim of medical malpractice, it will be important for you to speak with a knowledgeable attorney that can review your claim. Get in touch with The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson MD, JD & Associates today. Dr. Wilson and our legal team can bring a rare combination of medical and legal experience to your case and a record that includes more than $100 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients in Arlington and throughout the Washington, D.C., area. We will provide a free and confidential consultation.
What Is Considered Medical Malpractice?
Negligence in medical malpractice cases is the failure to act in a reasonable manner and provide the proper standard of care. Generally, to establish that a doctor, nurse or other medical care provider committed medical malpractice, a patient must show:
- The professional acted in a way that directly violated the accepted standards of the profession (which varies by specialty and area of medicine).
- Other similarly trained and qualified professionals would not have acted in the same way under similar circumstances.
- As a result of the professional’s deviation from the norms and standards of practice, the patient suffered injury.
- The injury resulted in some identifiable loss such as medical expenses.
In other words, to establish medical malpractice, it is not enough for a patient to show that a doctor made a mistake. The patient must also show that the medical professional’s mistake was a deviation from what the medical community in his or her area of medicine traditionally accepts.
What are Common Types of Medical Negligence Cases in Arlington?
Medical malpractice can occur in many different ways. Some of the most common types of medical malpractice that can result in harm to patients in Arlington, VA are:
- Missed or delayed diagnosis – A doctor may fail to thoroughly examine a patient, check a patient’s medical history, order the right tests or misinterpret test results, leading to a delay in the patient’s diagnosis or inaccurate diagnosis.
- Medication errors – A patient may receive the wrong type of medication or the wrong dosage of medication. These errors can occur for a variety of reasons, including miscommunication between doctors and pharmacists.
- Surgical mistakes – Surgical errors can include operating on the wrong area of the patient’s body and performing the wrong type of procedure. In some cases, doctors leave instruments inside of a patient’s body such as surgical sponges, which can cause patients to suffer life-threatening infections.
- Emergency room errors – Many emergency rooms in Arlington, Washington D.C. and surrounding areas have problems with understaffing, which can result in long wait times and rushed examinations of patients.
- Anesthesia errors – Patients can suffer harm when doctors improperly administer anesthesia or fail to check a patient’s medical history for allergies and other factors that may lead to a negative reaction to anesthesia.
- Birth injuries – Medical errors can occur during the course of a woman’s pregnancy or during labor and delivery which put a child’s health at risk or lead to a lifelong disability such as cerebral palsy.
It is important to know that some patients suffer injuries from medical treatment that come from dangerous drugs or defective medical devices such as IVC filters or hip implants. In those cases, the manufacturer of the drug or medical device may be liable for the patient’s injuries. These types of cases fall into a different area of the law known as product liability.
How an Arlington Medical Malpractice Lawyer Can Help You
With decades of combined legal and medical experience, our attorneys at The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson MD, JD & Associates will know how to thoroughly investigate your case, determine why your treatment went wrong and identify the doctor or other medical professionals who should be held liable for the harm that you have suffered. We will also gather and carefully review your medical records in order to determine the nature of your injuries and assess the impact on your health, your ability to work and your enjoyment of life.
We may also consult with experts who have a background in the type of treatment that you received. An expert can help us to understand your case and how your treatment may have failed to meet the standard of care that you deserved.
Our goal will be to secure the maximum amount of compensation for you, including:
- Economic damages such as medical bills, lost income and other out-of-pocket expenses caused by the medical malpractice
- Non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, emotional distress and loss of consortium.
When you work with the Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson MD, JD & Associates, you will pay nothing for your initial consultation, and you will not be charged any attorney’s fees unless and until you receive a financial award.
Our Arlington Medical Malpractice Attorneys Are Ready to Help You
If you believe you are a victim of medical malpractice, it is important for you to speak to an Arlington, Virginia medical malpractice lawyer right away. The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson MD, JD & Associates can review your case and start working for you immediately. Dr. Wilson has more than 30 years of experience with handling medical malpractice claims, and our law firm has recovered more than $100 million on behalf of our clients. We look forward to putting that experience to work for you. Contact us today for your free case evaluation and learn more about how we can help.