Maryland Truck Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a collision with a truck in Maryland? Did you lose a loved one due to a truck driver or trucking company’s negligence? If so, the 18-wheeler accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Michael M. Wilson are ready to help you pursue justice. And rightful compensation.
Because commercial trucks can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds, the force of one of these vehicles colliding with a passenger car, or with a motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian, can result in catastrophic and potentially life-threatening injuries.
When the negligent or reckless actions and decisions of truck drivers and trucking companies cause a truck accident, the injured victims of the truck accident can hold them accountable to provide financial compensation for injuries and losses. However, legal help is often required to take on trucking companies. Our Maryland truck accident attorney can offer the legal assistance you need.
At The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson, M.D., J.D. & Associates, we bring unique knowledge and experience to our clients’ cases. Our principal attorney, Michael Wilson, is a Washington D.C. medical malpractice lawyer and a physician, having studied both law and medicine at Georgetown University.
As a physician, Dr. Wilson has the medical background to fully understand the impact of truck accident victims’ injuries. Other law firms have to rely on medical experts to help explain their clients’ injuries. Dr. Wilson can simultaneously analyze your truck accident case’s medical and legal aspects to build a strong, effective, persuasive claim on your behalf.
Contact us today for a free case review to speak to a knowledgeable Maryland truck accident lawyer. We’ll discuss your legal rights and options for pursuing financial compensation for the injuries and losses you’ve suffered as a result of a truck crash.
Why Are Truck Accidents So Dangerous?
Truck accidents are often more devastating than other kinds of motor vehicle crashes due to the size of large commercial trucks. When a truck collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, particularly at highway speeds, the force on the smaller vehicle and its occupants often causes much more severe injuries than those suffered in a collision between two cars.
Truck accidents can also involve many more vehicles than a typical car accident. If a truck accident occurs on a busy road or highway, the truck’s sheer size may result in both the tractor and the trailer colliding with multiple vehicles or persons.
Truck accidents can cause significant, widespread damage, especially if a truck loses its cargo in an accident. Depending on the type of cargo involved, an accident resulting in a truck spilling its load can lead to significant property damage in addition to serious injuries for the people involved in the accident.
What Are Common Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents in MD?
There are many types of truck accidents, and they tend to be more dangerous than auto accidents. The severity of a truck crash can often lead to devastating injuries for those in a collision with a commercial truck. Injuries commonly suffered in truck accidents include:
- Road rash (if a crash victim is thrown from a vehicle or knocked to the ground)
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Whiplash injuries
- Neck and back injuries, including herniated disc injuries
- Strains and tears of ligaments, muscles, or tendons
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Burn injuries (if a truck accident results in fire)
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
What Compensation Is Available for Truck Accidents in Maryland?
When you’ve been involved in a truck accident caused by the negligence or recklessness of a truck driver or a trucking company, you may be entitled to financial compensation for losses you’ve incurred due to the accident, such as:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation of injuries
- Lost wages and income due to missed work
- Lost earning ability due to disabilities caused by injuries
- Pain and suffering or lost quality of life due to physical scarring or disabilities
- Property damage, including the costs to repair or replace your vehicle damaged in the accident
A top truck accident lawyer in Maryland can help you get compensation for your injuries and other damages. Call for help with your truck accident claim today.
MD Truck Accident Stats
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 60 fatal motor vehicle accidents involving a large truck occurred in Maryland in a single recent year. Counties in Maryland with the highest numbers of truck accident fatalities include Baltimore County, Prince Georges County, Howard County, and Washington County.
How to Avoid Truck Accidents in Maryland
Truck drivers can take steps to help reduce their risk of causing an accident, including:
- Obey traffic laws and posted speed limits.
- Stay within the federally mandated hours of service limitations and ensuring they get adequate rest and sleep.
- Conduct an inspection of their vehicle every time before getting back on the road.
- Ensure that their cargo load is balanced, with heavier cargo spread out towards the floor of the truck or trailer bed.
- Avoid driving during late hours or during adverse weather.
Other motorists can also take steps to help avoid getting into accidents with trucks, such as:
- Avoid trucks that are driving in an unusual or unsafe manner, such as weaving over traffic lines, driving much slower than the posted speed limit or the pace of traffic, or gradually slowing down only to speed up again. These may be signs that a truck driver is fatigued, distracted, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Don’t stay in a truck’s blind spots. If you can’t see the truck driver’s reflection in their mirrors, the driver likely cannot see you.
- Try not to make any sudden maneuvers around a commercial truck, such as cutting in front of a truck. Large commercial trucks cannot maneuver or slow down as easily as passenger vehicles can.
How to Know You Need Legal Help after a Truck Accident in MD
You should speak to a truck accident attorney as soon as possible after a crash. Soon after a truck accident, representatives from the trucking company or their insurer may contact you, looking to obtain a statement from you or offering you a quick settlement.
Retaining legal help from a truck accident injury attorney as soon as possible after a truck accident can ensure that you understand your legal rights and options along with the true value of your claim. It also means that you’ll have an experienced advocate protecting your rights and interests against trucking companies and insurers that may try to avoid their liability to you. The trucking industry can be tough to take on alone, but we can help.
After you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Maryland, turn to The Law Offices of Dr. Michael M. Wilson, M.D., J.D. & Associates today for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about how our firm can provide you with the legal assistance you need to recover compensation for your injuries and losses. We can look at your injury claim and help you gain compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and even pain and suffering. Call us today for help with your truck injury lawsuit in Maryland.